Monday, February 22, 2010

Going down??? The up's & down's of an escalator

Last weekend we had the pleasure of hosting our exchange students father for a night. He was here on business and was able to get in a quick visit with his daughter and our family. What an opportunity! We can see where Sally gets her kind disposition.

We were able to share a meal together Friday evening and sit down and talk and then Saturday morning it was time to take him to the airport. We are thankful to have had the opportunity to meet Mr. Kim.

Upon leaving the airport though, 'we' had a bit of an adventure. You know how the news and other shows have mentioned the hazards of escalators. My youngest was in flip flops but she wasn't the one we had to be concerned over. Nope! The folly was on me. As we were taking our leisure stroll down the escalator, my upper body started inclining while the rest of me was still taking the ride down, for a while that is.

I'm sure there was some kind of a warning at the top of the escalator warning riders "Beware! Ride at your own risk." I let out a "Umm! Aahh! Help! I'm stuck. Help!" through a nervous laugh. Unbeknownst to me, my purse strap got stuck in the handrail! After about 5 tugs I was finally able to dislodge the strap and of course, like any person who feels like they made an idiot of themselves, I looked around to see if anyone saw me. I'm sure a "Funniest Home Video" camera was somewhere filming and laughing at my situation.

Who knew that for a small parking fee, one could get a free ride in at the airport. So, next time you hop on an escalator and think it's going to be a leisure ride, beware! You just might be in for a scary ride! Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Jane Anne said...

That sounds scary to me. I would have freaked out on the escalator, I think. I'm so glad you didn't fall!

The Laverty's said...

Luckily I was nearing the bottom of the escalator so I had some time to tug & tug on my purse strap as I was slowly starting to go back up the escalator. Had I not been able to get it unstuck or had I been further up the escalator, I'm sure I would have panic a bit more. We had a BIG laugh over it! It lightened the mood as we left the airport and Sally's dad.

Jackaroo said...

Poor Christy – I can assure you the sight was quite funny from my angle. I was at the bottom, off of the escalator when I hear the “Ah help... HELP I am stuck!!!” I turn to see Christy facing up the downward moving escalator with her face almost resting on the handrail. She is ardently pulling and tugging on “something”, as I am totally unaware of what’s going on at this time. Needless to say, the prized purse was freed and held tightly to her body as she scoots to the middle of the step for the remainder of the ride.

To be honest, at first I thought she was making fun at my expense. Just moments earlier she “corrected” me when I turned on the escalator to start walking up the downward moving escalator. You know, the fear every mother has of the Father of her children showing the children some childish trick. So we I turned to see her facing up, I almost blurted out “Very Funny!” Thankfully her panic stifled what could have been a very embarrassing mistake on my part.

Jackaroo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.