Friday, March 26, 2010

Primitive Easter Eggs & Practical Parenting

Look what I made the other day! These primitive Easter eggs were a fun and easy craft to make. I found them online a few months ago here and decided I just had to make them. It was an inexpensive craft made from the plastic eggs that everyone fills with Easter candy and some cinnamon. I also wrapped them in cheese cloth to give them a nice primitive texture but you can't really see it in the photo.

They smell soooo good! They are sitting in my foyer and each time I walk past them the sweet smell of cinnamon greets me. I would have liked to have left them out on a country plate or in a shallow country bowl but I knew that it would be too big of a temptation for our kittens. I didn’t want to wake up one morning and find cinnamon all over my white carpet! Now, I’ve got a BIG surprise coming up tomorrow but it will remain a secret until then. So come back and see what the suspense is all about!


Now on to the Practical Parenting… This week, it is discussing the “final leg” of school as summer is on the horizon and how we can help our kids motivated.


The “final leg” and the “last leg.” These are two very similar phrases, but with very different meanings. When we return from Spring Break we will be starting our 3rd quarter of school – you might say we are on the final leg of our school year. So, how do you keep your child motivated and help them finish this final leg of the year strong? How do you keep them from feeling that they are on the last leg?

One thing that is very important is your attitude about the last quarter of school. If you express to your child that you are tired and can’t wait until summer break – guess what they will begin to express? That right – your child will oftentimes mirror your feelings and emotions. What your child needs from you at this time of year is renewed excitement and encouragement to do their best.

The last quarter of the school year is one where many new and challenging concepts are introduced, and the final touches are made to be sure your child is ready for the academics of the next grade level. I have seen many children “fade” at this time of the year. As a school, we will keep your child as motivated as we can, but we need your help as well.

Keep giving your child that position motivation and reinforcement that you gave them at the beginning of this school year. Now would be a good time to be checking on their homework situation, and on projects that are in the works.

Determine now how you will help your child think this time of year is as important as the beginning of the year. Pray daily with your student for God’s strength and motivation to help them finish strong. Pray that very thing for yourself as well. Approach this time of the year with the determination to finish strong on this “final leg” of the school year.

So, remember to stop by tomorrow for my BIG surprise. Until then, have a great day!

Okay...you twisted my arm! I'll give you a little hint. 100th post tomorrow and a give-away!!!

2 comments:

MichMacsMusings said...

love the primitive eggs. what a great idea.

i was going to email you and see, have you ever heard of or made 'resurrection cookies?' i saw the recipe the other day, and i think we are going to start making them as an easter tradition. i'll have to get it to you sometime.

love and miss you chickie!

The Laverty's said...

I've heard of them and got the recipe when the kids were in Kindergarten but we have never made them. Let me know how they turn out. Love you and miss you too!