Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Farm Chicks and Country Living

Mother's Day is just around the corner...so I've dropped several hints and even offered to pick up an item that's on my wish list for my hubbie. My husband's a busy guy and has a tendacy to wait until the last minute to go out and get the perfect gift. I figured, I'm at the store and I see what I've been wanting. I'll just send him a text message and see if he'd like for me to pick up that certain item that he and the girls can wrap up for me...as a surprise for me. I'm trying to be a helper! Anywho! I didn't pick it up. It's still at the store waiting to come home to me.


Curious to know what it is? "The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen: Live Well, Laugh Often, Cook Much" Book is first on my list for Mother's Day this year! Check out their website here (http://thefarmchicks.typepad.com/farmchicks/our-cookbook/). They even have some recipes you can try. The book is available at Costco for $17.49 and it even includes a free subscription to Country Living(http://www.countryliving.com/). What a deal! One of the ladies is even from our beautiful state.


There are multiple recipes included in the book as well as some other creative ideas to country-fy our homes with craft projects and decorations. I think I need an adorable new apron to go with it too! Not really but I did a quick search for vintage aprons and aren't these cute! Check out http://www.jessiesteele.com/catalog.php and http://www.couturedreams.com/ if you're in need of a cute new apron. I've got a few that I wear when I'm cooking in the kitchen but not as cute as these. I need to get some new ones for my girls too. We used to have apron's for them when they were much younger but they've outgrown them.


Lately I've been trying more recipes to bless my family at dinner, etc. It's important to make our house a home. My husband is always jabbing me when I come home with a new candle. I always ask him if he likes it and his comment is always "Smells like home". In the beginning I was usually bothered by that. I wanted to hear something like, "Wow! That's really nice." or "I really like that one". But now, I've come to appreciate that comment. I want our home to be filled with comfort, joy, laughter, love and have a sweet aroma.


When I was in Kansas, my blog music wasn't playing in the background. My oldest, Katelynn, made a comment about how something was different to Jack and then she realized that she missed hearing my blog music. I want my children to look back when they are adults and have fond memories of home. The smell of a candle, fresh baked cookies or muffins, etc. etc.

Ladies, take some time to create memories and bless your family today. They'll appreciate it (even if they don't mention it) and you'll feel good about it in the process. Those mundane job's that we do each day, they are a blessing to our families! The toilet doesn't clean itself and the laundry doesn't fold itself.


We all need to be a Proverbs 31 Woman. Proverbs 31:15 ~ "She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls." Proverbs 31:17 ~
"She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks." Personnally, I don't get up when it's dark but rather I stay up when it's dark to do some of my tasks. That just works best for me. So, turn on some music, grab your apron, dust rag or your mop and go bless your family!!



P.S. I'm curious to know what's on your list for Mother's Day? Leave me a comment 'cause I'd love to hear what you've got your eye on!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Mothers Day! Hope things are going well with you all up there. Miss and Love you
Melissa

MichMacsMusings said...

since being on maternity leave, i've been able to bless my home and it feels wonderful. i've made banana bread, tried new recipes and some old ones too. it sure is fun...but i've decided i need an apron...i want the one on the bottom right of your post...too cute!

see ya in less than two weeks!

The Laverty's said...

Hi Melissa! Life is going very well now. We're all finally feeling healthier & summers around the corner so it doesn't get much better than that. Bring on the sun!

The Laverty's said...

Hey Lindsay-Lou! I've got a quick, easy Chicken Taco Soup that I'm gonna get posted as soon as time allows. You have to start it in the morning in your crockpot but then it does it's thing & the house smells delish!

The two aprons on the bottom are for children :~) but aren't they adorable!! I got an apron for Mother's Day...I'll post pics soon! If you've got a Ross there, they've got great prices on them!

Have fun blessing your family!

Jackaroo said...

You continue to bless our family daily and I LOVE coming home to a house filled with the smell of your cooking. Love ya - Jack

The Laverty's said...

Thanks babe! I love you too! BTW...Thanks for a great Mother's Day! The food was great!