Thursday, April 24, 2008

The difference between boys & girls

Ok. So most of you have heard but I had to post this. Recently Katelynn and Madison spent the night at there cousins. This is how the evening proceeds after we pick them up...Keep in mind this is coming from our 7 1/2 year old sweet, innocent and naive baby girl.

So we're sitting as a family at a gourmet dinner at Wendy's after picking up the kids. We are catching up with them and asking how there time is over our delicious meal. They got to spend time with their cousins and with another boy of about 5.

Upon picking up the girls, Savanah let's Nana in on a little secret that she thinks "said boy" has a crush on Madison. At dinner we get the scoop on all the things they did with their cousins, etc. etc.

Then, out of Madison's little mouth comes matter of factly, "I know the difference between boys and girls." Complete silence from the parents and Nana as our minds are whirling on the inside and we're all thinking, "Did she just say what I think she did? What does that mean? Where did this come from? She's only 7 1/2. Oh my gosh!!!"

Madison continues, "Yeah, boys have a black spot on their stomachs that girls do not have."

Still complete silence from the parents. We're still completely whirling on the inside and panicking. Nana on the other hand is thinking back to Anah's little secret she filled her in on and wondering, "What happened? Could Madison have seen something she shouldn't have?"

Then Madison explains a little more. Now we find out she's referring to the puppies! Oh, the puppies! The new puppies at Papa and Grandma Donna's. Great!! This is going so much better now. Yeah! Boy puppies have a brown spot on their tummies. For someone who does not love dogs, I cannot tell you how thrilled I was to know she was talking about puppies!

So, our usually sweet, innocent 7 1/2 year old is still naive to the difference between boys and girls! We're just not ready for her to know all of this yet. She doesn't have a brother. She's got a small clue I'm sure but that's all she needs for now. We can cross this bridge a little later in life! I'm having a tough enough time starting to fill Katelynn in on the facts of life. Whew!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't know how glad I am to hear that she didn't learn about the birds and the bees at my house. fewwwww!!

Anonymous said...

Fyi...I did spend about ten minutes teaching Sammy how you make your own wine. Maybe you should be concerned where you send your girls.
WHAT?! She was very into learning about it. It's not like she's gonna go out and make some at school.)

The Laverty's said...

We are glad she did not hear about the birds and the bees yet!! Katelynn has had boys walk in on her while she's sitting on the toilet at a friends house so you never know what kids may see. Madison has a tendency to pee with the door cracked so for all I know "said boy" may have seen her peeing!

The Laverty's said...

Jack and I had a glass of wine with dinner the other night and Madison wanted a drink. We told her she wasn't old enough and she brought up the fact that a girl got to drink some in the movie (Lindsey Lohan in The Parent Trap). We told her she's tried it before and she can wait until she's older. Maybe if Lindsey hadn't had a drink as a kid she wouldn't be in the trouble she's in these days! Sheesh!

MichMacsMusings said...

so glad maddie is still innocent. kids are learning things younger and younger.

sometime you'll have to ask me about capri and belly buttons!

love ya

Jane Anne said...

Having Elisabeth has been a real eye-opener for the boys. They are quite curious about her anatomy... the comments and questions I get are really cute and funny.
I enjoyed your story. Keep her innocent as long as possible!!

Kimberly said...

I too am thrilled beyond words that Maddie didn't see anything or learn anything inappropriate while in my care.
Thanks for posting this story. I waited and waited to see it on your blog. I actually almost emailed you and told you to - POST THAT STORY OR I'M GOING TO! It's much more funny coming from you!

The Laverty's said...

I hate to say too much here because I do not want to embarrass my kids one day if they sit down and read our blog. Anyways! We're filling in Katelynn slowing about the birds & the bees, etc. So, she now knows the proper name for the male anatomy. Sat down with her again last night to briefly discuss things more and she said..."I thought you said it was called a peanut." Too funny!!!

Jackaroo said...

A peanut... Good luck honey. I am so glad we have girls

Kimberly said...

P.S. The "boy" is actually the same age as the girls. He was born in Nov of 2000.

Jackaroo said...

Yeah - It's just that us boys and men often look younger than we actually are. How unfortunate for the opposite sex.

The Laverty's said...

Hardy har har! You think you're hillarious, don't you!?!

Jackaroo said...

Oh I'm funny!

Kimberly said...

yeah - your frickin' hilarious!