Thursday, February 5, 2009

Praying for our Children - Day 6 Responsibility

Day 6 - Responsibility ~ Galations 6:5 for each one should carry his own load.

The Christian school my daughters attend has what they call The 3 R's which are Respect, Relationships & Responsibilty. The students can get awards for displaying one of the 3 R's during their day at school. We are already teaching our girls these things at home but now it is reinforced at school and we can remind them when they are not displaying one of the 3 R's.

The first definition of Responsibility according to http://www.webster-dictionary.net/definition/Responsibility is:

The state of being responsible, accountable, or answerable, as for a trust, debt, or obligation.

My family is undergoing some personal trials and this one struck home. We each are to take responsibility for our actions. Sorry I cannot go into details but you can keep us in your prayers. We are fine, just facing a battle with someone who has not taken responsibility.

We need to be mindful that our job as parents is crucial to building up reputable young men and young ladies. Our children will one day grow up and be on their own. It is our job to equip them with the tools now that they will need later to be successful in relationships, careers, etc., etc.

Today's short prayer that I found is:

Dear God, may my children recognize when they are wrong and take responsibility where they are at fault. Give them a deep and sincere desire to put things right as quickly as possible.

Sometimes taking responsibilty is hard but when we or others around us do not take responsibility, others are affected. I'll end this post with song lyrics from Steven Curtis Chapman's song "Dancing with the Dinosaur".

Once upon a time not so long ago in a land not so far away
Right and wrong were not quite so hard to know
And black and white was not so gray
Times have changed and now it seems
Conscience has gone the way of the dinosaur
But I believe it's still alive and well today
In the hearts of those who will stand up and say
I'm dancing with the dinosaur
Living my life with conscience and conviction
I don't want to see the truth ignored
So I gotta keep on dancing
I gotta keep on dancing with the dinosaur
There's a banner waving saying tolerance will set you free it's the latest thing
While the consequences it leaves behind are like a ball and chain
But there's a voice in everyone called conscience
That's been around since God created man
And as we learn to listen to its whispering
We'll find the greatest freedom when we stand up and sing
I'm dancing with the dinosaur
Living my life with conscience and conviction
I don't want to see the truth ignored
So I gotta keep on dancing
I gotta keep on dancing with the dinosaur
Right is right and wrong is wrong just like it has been all along
We cannot sit by and see conscience become history
So come on, get up and dance
Dance this dance with me

written by Steven Curtis Chapman
c1994 Sparrow Song (a div. of The Sparrow Corp.)/Peach Hill Songs (BMI)

No comments: