Monday, February 2, 2009

Praying for your Children - Day 3 Love

I really want to be more purposeful in my role as a mother. Lately, parenting has been more challenging and my attitude was not how it should be. I decided it was time to change my focus and I know that praying more and seeking God will help. I know that I'm not the only mom who struggles with disciplining their kids and feeling like you're the "bad mom" for it (even when you know what you're doing is right) and how do you address this or that... So, I decided that blogging it may benefit other's and myself in the process. So in the pursuit of being more purposeful, let's get to Day 3's topic of Praying for our Children.

Today we have two Bible references to go with our topic...

Day 3 - Love

~ Ephesian 5:2 and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. (NIV)

~ Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, (NIV)


Today I thought I'd share an experience we had at home and how I got to teach my daughter that we need to love others as Christ does. One day recently, one of my daughter's came home and told me she got in trouble at recess for kicking a boy. I asked her why she had done that, thinking she'd have a good reason because this is truly out of character for her. Her reasoning...He was annoying me and making weird noises. What!?! That's it?

This boy has always bothered her and annoyed her. She thinks he's gross because he picks his nose (among other things) and she just doesn't like him. So, I told her she needed to pray for him and talked to her about how the bible tells us to love others. I told her that over time, with God's help, that she may see him in a different light. As gross as he is to her, I told her that God loves him!

So, our prayer for Day 3 is Love. The bible tells us to love like Jesus. He loves us so much that he died on the cross for us. He loved the lepers and the woman at the well. What an awesome example we have to follow! It is our job to love others. How hard it is to love those who annoy us though! I'll be praying specifically that my one daughter will be able to love this boy as Christ does.

Steven Curtis Chapman's song "All about Love" get's the message straight on how we need to prioritize our lives and Love, love, love, love, love!


All About Love (Concept Video) - Steven Curtis Chapman

2 comments:

MichMacsMusings said...

thank you for posting these. i love how you parent your girls.

The Laverty's said...

Thank you! Love ya & miss you!